Dental assistants assist dentists during the examination and treatment of patients. Duties include chair-side assistance, instrument and equipment care, instrument sterilization, laboratory procedures, oral hygiene instruction and possibly clerical functions. Dental assistants work primarily in dentists' offices, but they might also be employed by government and educational institutions. Also known as Health Care Assistant, Medical Assistant.
- the ability to pay close attention to detail
- the ability to put patients at ease
- good communication and interpersonal skills
- steadiness, the ability to remain calm under pressure and in emergencies
- critical thinking skills
- good organizational and time management skills
- the ability to co-operate and work as part of a team
Dental Assistants should enjoy dealing with people, having clear guidelines, and operating and maintaining equipment.
Diploma or certificate
Schools Offering Career Program
Average Starting Salary