Human Services Worker
If you like to work with people, value healthy living and well-being and are interested in improving the quality of life for others then you should consider the Human Services. A range of careers exist through which you can make a real difference in the lives of the clients and colleagues you serve. Work opportunities exist within a variety of fields e.g. child & youth care, community services, correctional services, disability supports and services, therapeutic recreation. Positions may exist in government, non-profit, and private agencies with direct or indirect client service and work settings in offices, clinics and hospitals, correctional institutions, day treatment programs, group homes, shelters and client’s homes.
Some of the job/occupation titles within this field might be human services worker, case management aid, social work assistant, community support worker, mental health aid, life skills, coach, child and youth care worker. Salaries and job responsibilities would vary depending on the area of human services one chooses.
- good verbal and written communication skills including the ability to listen non-judgmentally and with empathy and understanding
- emotional maturity, good judgment and strong sense of responsibility
- the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- a positive, flexible attitude
- problem solving skills
- decision making skills
- an interest in helping people resolve problems, often contact is with people who are vulnerable to exploitation or mistreatment so patience and understanding essential
- the ability to keep contacts with clients on a professional level
- creative ability to develop new programs or ways of doing things
- the ability to work independently, manage time effectively, and work as part of a team
- some positions physically demanding, requiring lifting and transferring skills when working with clients
Individuals choosing human services should enjoy helping others, compiling information and maintaining contact with other agencies, and developing innovative approaches to problems.
Schools Offering Career Program
Average Starting Salary