Medical Laboratory Assistant
Medical Laboratory Assistants are medical laboratory professionals who collect patient specimens, perform pre-analytical procedures to prepare them for analysis, and do data entry, clerical and reception duties. As an integral member of the health care team, the medical laboratory assistant is part of the front line laboratory staff and is often the first person with whom patients and clients interact. They are employed in medical laboratories in hospitals, private clinics, research institutions and universities.
- the ability to follow instructions, pay close attention to detail and take precise readings
- the ability to work quickly and accurately
- good finger and manual dexterity to handle specimens and small laboratory equipment
- normal colour vision
- good communication and problem solving skills
- good organizational skills
- the interpersonal skills required to work well with co-workers and the public
They should enjoy, taking a methodical approach to their work, setting up and maintaining laboratory equipment, and helping people and assisting medical personnel.
Schools Offering Career Program
Average Starting Salary